“Far from the madding crowd’s ignoble strife”, away from the din and tumult of noisy streets, in the quiet retirement of a sacred environment, on the top of a hill which commands beautiful landscapes, and which seem to be peculiarly adapted to be centre of intellectual and moral enlightenment, this school was started in the year 1885. Fr. Gerard T.O.C.D started the school with one teacher and one pupil, in the porch of a farm house in the St. Joseph’s Monastery precincts.
In 1888 May, Bishop C. Levigne, S. J. the newly appointed Vicar Apostolic of Kottayam, came to his Vicariate and took up his residence in the Monastery at Mannanam. The Bishop’s secretary was Rev. Fr. Ricard S. J. and he gladly took up the management of the school. On the 13th of September, 1890, the School was recognized by the Madras Government as the Mannanam Convent Middle School.